Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Dream Crushed

For as long as I remember, I have been wanting to go back to school. What I have wanted to study has not been available to me, though. Recently, we moved to a place where I can go to school and study what I want. It is a bit of a drive, but the classes are only two days a week, so I am going for it. Finally. Yay!

The college allows you to fill out your admittance application online, so I did. The form asked for my first name, my middle name, my last name...the usual. I filled in those. Then it asked what I prefer to be called. Since being a white, middle class housewife will get me no breaks (and I need all of the help that I can get), filled in Shaniqua Pocahontas Rodriguez.

Now I am registered, I have my classes set, I have paid, and I am ready to go. How do I find out what I need? Am I supposed to show up for the first class prepared, or will the teacher tell us what we need when we get there? How do I find the class? Where is the campus? Maybe this online registration was not the best idea.

Will I be the only person creeping up on forty in a class of eighteen and nineteen year olds? Will the other kids in the class think that I am an old lady and wonder why on earth I am there? Will they call me Mom? Worse yet, will they look at me and call Grandma in their youthful, snotty, going-to-be-young-forever tone? Shut up, you teenagers! You will not have those young, skinny, tan, firm bodies forever. One day you will probably be forty with sagging and cellulite and (Dare I say it?) wrinkles...so leave me alone!

Young kids are so mean these days! I cannot take this abuse! What was I thinking? I need to cancel my class and see if I can get my money back. Who needs this?!

Just Me

3 comments:

  1. I hope you're not serious about canceling your class. My daughter went back to school when she was in her late 30's and went on to get her degree in Accounting. I don't think she had any problem with younger students, or anyone calling her "mom" or anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, GGG, I was not serious. I was totally playing. Actually, I am very much looking forward to going to school. Though, I would be much happier if it was not so far away. Thank you, though, for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go back with confidence! I am going through the exact same thing - well im waiting to be acepted back to school...
    There is a christian college (were i live) that you have to be 21 to attend - unfortuately i can not afford it so, i have to face all the teenagers myself - all their trendy skinny ways...:(
    Whats that one saying??? - Better late than never...

    ReplyDelete